What is Mental Health?
Just like our bodies, our minds need looking after to make sure they stay healthy. Mental health is your general state of mind, and ability to cope with the things going on around you. Everybody has ups and downs, but if you’re having mental health issues it might make it harder to go about your everyday life.
Mental health issues are really common, 1 in 4 people aged 14-25 will experience mental health issues at some point. So it’s likely you’ll know someone trying to cope with mental health issues, or may experience one yourself. There are a lot of places you can get help if you think you’re having mental health issues. Try talking to someone you trust about it, like a friend, parent or school counsellor. You can also visit your GP, local community health centre or find your nearest headspace centre. You can also call beyond blue or get online counselling at eheadspace.
Improve your mental health
These tips can help maintain your mental health:
- exercise (yep! keeping your body healthy will help your mind healthy too!)
- get into a routine – having regular sleeping patterns and meals can really help you cope with the other stuff going on in your life.
- relax – other things (like school) may seem more urgent but allowing yourself some time to chill out can really make a difference to how you feel.
- try meditating (smiling mind is a great meditation app)
- talk about it- find someone you trust who you can tell what’s going on. If you don’t feel like talking to someone you know try online counselling at eheadspace.
- make time to do things you like doing.
- keep in touch with your friends and family.
If you think you or someone you know is experiencing mental health issues you should talk to an adult you trust about it. If you don’t want to tell someone you know about it try going to your GP, local community health centre or find your nearest headspace centre. You can also call beyond blue or get online counselling at eheadspace. (These services are all confidential)
Click here to read more about Mental Health.
You might also like:
Photoshop + Music
This is cool: Singer gets a major photoshop make over in a music video. Check it out.Read more →
Pregnancy + You
Becoming pregnant doesn’t mean your life is over. Let’s discuss your options.Read more →
All Shook Up: Living With Anxiety
Laurie writes about her experiences with anxiety and how she stopped it from taking over her life.Read more →